2 friends and the coast to coast walk

Clay Bank Top to Glaisdale by gleavem
October 30, 2008, 10:03 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

After a good nights sleep and a slightly awkward breakfast for 6, we packed up, had a quick chat about the best way back onto the path and headed outside.  Gerry and Wendy came out to see us off and point us in the right direction, which turned out to be steeply uphill!  The path back up to the ridge from Maltkiln had been somewhat disrupted by the logging on the hillside, but we managed to clamber up to rejoin the CW.

Setting off from Urra Moor

After reading a comment in our guide book about people rushing by too busy to show any respect, we made sure we visited the summit of Urra Moor: Round Hill.  Today was to be a day of interesting boundary stones, the first being the hand stone (below).  There were also several with interesting inscriptions or letters on, and of course the famous fat betty!  At Bloworth Crossing we left the Cleveland Way and joined a former railway which would take us all the way to our lunch stop.  It was a good wide track and the going was easy, but we soon bored of the scenery and unchallenging route.

The hand stone

We continued to trudge along, passing few others, the only ones of note being two young men carrying all their kit  who we slowly caught and passed, and would see again much later in the day.  The irritating gravelly track seemed to go on for ever, crunch, crunch, crunch, so we were very very pleased to reach the Lion Inn!  The pub is obviously very popular, especially a Saturday, but to be honest I felt it was a bit dark and dingy.  We refueled with some jacket pots, refreshed by downing several pints of pop and squash and set off for the Fryup dales.  Starting off on the road, we then headed back across the dales, passing a few more stones, but few walkers.   The path got more interesting around Great Fryup Head, and the sun even came out!  The day had not been navigationally challenging, but it was at times difficult to keep motivated on the long, broad tracks.  After Fryup we joined another broad track, which seemed to go on forever…the last 2-3 miles felt more like 10!

Fat Betty on the left We got to Glaisdale much later than we’d thought (I’m sure it was more than 19miles!), but happily the B&B was worth the wait.  Jean and her husband gave us a very warm welcome and showed us into their lovely home.  From here to thereAfter showers, some very welcome tea and biscuits and a nice sit down, we headed back out to Glaisdale to the only dinner venue available; the Arncliff Arms.  We were a little concerned that as there was only one option for food in Glaisdale, that it might not be the best, but we couldn’t have been more wring!  The Arncliff Arms was busy and it was clear why…the food was fabulous and it was a wonderfully varied menu.  We headed back to Beggar’s Bridge B&B to watch the end of the DVD we’d started watching in Reeth!  It seemed strange knowing that the next day would be our last, but we were looking forward to a more varied and interesting day, and hoping for sun!


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: